Saturday, January 15, 2011

I would totally play the washboard if I had a pair of those sweet monster gloves.

I don't think I would have believed you if you told my 15-year-old self that in 10 years, my Saturday nights would involve sewing scarves and listening to bluegrass. Maybe if I were sewing skulls on the scarves and on some strange Gonzo-billy spirit journey... of course, who's to say that's NOT what I'm doing? XD

Point is, it's pretty alright with me. Things aren't so frantic anymore, so tense and unpredictable. I'm still surprised every day, but it isn't Shock and Awe. I know that life brings enough of that on its own, and I don't have to go invitin' it. Better to just anticipate it, build my house from brick and learn to sew.

I think my silly old angst was only ever a hormonal, contrarian reaction to childhood and adulthood alike. Around 6th grade, all my friends started talking about how they couldn't wait to be grown-ups, while adulthood just seemed like a long slog through work, parenthood, financial responsibility and chores. I guess I'm not qualified to comment on the accuracy of those assumptions since I don't exactly belong in the majority of those categories, but I certainly don't view them with the same dread that I used to. A lot has changed, but  change has become a reliable constant.

If I had any advice to give someone in that in-between time right now, my recommendation would be two-fold:

1) Learn how to dance
2) Never forget how to laugh at yourself (this especially comes in handy while working on #1)

A good starting point (and an explanation of the title of this blog):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kYW6yFoCBI

No comments:

Post a Comment